dinsdag 27 maart 2012

With the parents...

It’s always interesting to see how people who arrive to Nepal respond to the chaos of the city of Kathmandu. The day my parents arrived I was only hoping they would cope well for the next three weeks. And I have to say I am impressed! Already the first day my dad was eating dahl baht with his hands, my mum was shopping at the local grocery shop and both were trying to grasp some first words of Nepali. Way more than expected. And there was more... The first Saturday my dad was running up the hill with my running group, the Himalayan Hash House Harriers. And I was trying to keep up with him! The first beer down down was a bit slow, but after that he got the hang of it. Luckily his muscle ache was way more than mine the next couple of days...  In the mean while my mum was exploring the shopping streets of Thamel, haggling over a scarf or some other kind of souvenir, and buying samosas or other nepali snacks at the small street stalls.
In the himalayan hash house harriers circle doing a down down
Off to Pokhara, not by plane but my mum and dad wanted to go by bus to see the country side. And I followed by plane... In Pokhara we went hiking to the Peace Pagoda and me and my dad did a two day trekking into the mountains. We ended up in a basic lodge and in no time my father was playing cards with the local kids with a baby on his lap, acting the real grand dad!

Coming back in Pokhara my mum has had a makeover at some beauty salon and we all went for a nice dinner. I was totally convinced they could make it to Chitwan by themselves. In Chitwan they even did some development work handing out a spare pare of reading glasses to a woman behind a counter and did a jeep safari seeing elephants and sloth bears. Back in Kathmandu full with stories they had their own favourite bar at Bhumi’s and planned the rest of their time visiting the palace, shopping and so on. When I came back from the festival my dad had already run another hash, haggling for a taxi and getting the taxi to drop him off at the right place. Thanks mum and dad for taking the effort to come here and still being the adventurous type! I’d say yes the apple does not fall far from the tree!

1 opmerking:

  1. Hi Linda, I don't know if it knocks that the apple does'nt fall far from the tree! Papa

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen